Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Day 9: Sticky heat

Today was my first day visiting the schools. I joined the rest of the team in El Salvador Saturday night after 12 weeks of intense army training. It was a bit of a difficult transition, going straight from military life to a Christian missions trip, but today I was finally starting to feel settled.

In the morning we went shopping for souvenirs at the market, and in the afternoon we visited a school in Aguilares. We visited the same school last year, so it was nice to go back. We watched a school assembly and then gave talks to the classes. I had absolutely nothing prepared, which was scary but exhilarating. Before I went on the trip last year, I was terrified of talking in front of groups, and if I did I had to have everything written down and planned out. Something that God really taught me through that was how much I actually enjoy speaking in front of people about God and what he has done in my life. I realized that when we trust the Lord, he gives us the words to say that are tailored to the hearts of those who are hearing them. After that, I was able to have the courage to prepare for my talks less and less, and instead just speak from my heart and let God speak through me. It was really exciting and powerful, and since then, whenever I have to talk in front of people, I let God lead my words.

So, thinking about how scared I used to be of public speaking, it seemed crazy to me today when I stood in front of the class with no idea of what I was going to say. I started talking, and completely trusted God to speak through me, and it went well. Afterwards, I knew that God had led it in the direction he wanted.

The principal of the school asked us to stay longer, so we also led the classes in the "trust fall" activity and handed out Bible verse promises. Some of the kids really seemed to respond well to us being there. 

We left the school, drove back to San Salvador, went out for dinner at Bennigan's, and then had our nightly meeting. It was a great end to the day, and it's so awesome to be back in El Salvador doing missions work! I'm excited for the rest of the week.

- Vanessa 



No comments:

Post a Comment