Monday, August 5, 2013

Day 1: Amazing first day

Hey friends,

Well, we had our first whole day here in El Salvador and it was action packed. Because of the time change,
I woke up at 5:30 AM. We had breakfast and Salvadorian coffee. You all would love it. 
We spent the morning in the church that many of our friends here attend. I was so happy and delighted because after a whole year of waiting, I finally saw my best friend here, Sofia. I really love her. She was waiting for me with a 'Welcome Back' balloon. She is so cute! 

We went for lunch in the food court near the church. Everyone stared at me and others. The most beautiful Starbucks in El Salvador is in this mall so I had to get something. It had been two days after all. 
After lunch we went back to the hotel to discuss and prepare for what we will be doing for the next two weeks while we are here. We will be holding mini kids/youth camps with 'Olympic' games as well as many team building activities. I am quite excited for the Olympics. After figuring out exactly what the plans were, a few of us drove to Walmart and bought supplies for all the activities that we will need for the two weeks in the schools and in the churches. I was in the front seat of Tato's car and I felt so free. It's the first time in two years that I was in a car without the whole team. 

Some of Gabriela's family came to visit her at the hotel and we all had a nice time talking with them. Since it was late and we hadn't eaten yet, we went for dinner at Tony Roma's. Since it's the rainy season here in El Salvador, there was a huge thunder storm. Usually they happen at night so they don't really bother us. 

It's pretty late, technically it's midnight right now. 
We have to be out the door by 8 AM tomorrow... Going to be a busy and long day. Looking forward to visiting a very poor area in Santa Ana and seeing all the kids.

- Natalia 

Like Natalia mentioned, some of my family come over to our hotel to visit me. I was so happy and super excited to be able to see my amazing relatives. Each time they come to see us, they are so loving and sweet to the rest of the team, which makes me happy. It's great to know how much they like the people I've come to El Salvador with to serve our Heavenly Father. 

I don't always have the opportunity to come visit my whole family, which is quite a lot of people, which is why I am so thankful for our leader, Allan Day. He always gives me the opportunity to meet up with them and at least spend a few minutes together, which is not a lot but still means the world to me. Being able to serve God and the people of my country is amazing, but also being able to see my family is a huge bonus. I am so extremely blessed and thankful, and I owe it all to God. 

Overall, this was a perfect day. 

- Gabriela

No comments:

Post a Comment