Monday, August 8, 2011

Day 3: The little children

Today, we were at the first orphanage that we plan on visiting during the next 2 weeks. The kids living in the orphanage were from about 3 or 4 years old to about 17 years old. I was in charge of juggling and making animal balloons. I was somewhat surprised that the kids were not at all interested in what I was doing. They had little interest in my juggling, (maybe because I forgot my juggling speciality, the chinese yoyo) or the balloons I made for them (besides the swords that were popular with the boys, of course). I soon found out that they much rather wanted to try and make their own balloon animals, and try juggling themselves. They also discovered my drum sticks, which were sticking out of my bag, and started tapping on the tables (probably the highlight for the older boys). After reflecting a while, I realized that Jesus doesn't want us as Christians to be sitting around and watching. He wants us to be getting excited about him, and He wants us to get involved and discover new things that we might not notice at first glace. And finally, Jesus is filled with joy when He sees us smile, just as my heart was filled with joy when these kids smiled.

This morning, God gave me this verse. "People were also bringing babies to Jesus to have him touch them. When the disciples saw this, they rebuked them. But Jesus called the children to him and said, 'Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.'" Luke 18:15-17

Alex Wickham

No comments:

Post a Comment